From eScan Wiki
The Update option automatically keeps your virus definitions up-to-date and protects your computer from emerging species of viruses and other malicious programs. You can configure eScan to download updates automatically either from eScan update servers or from local network by using FTP or HTTP.
You can access tabbed page for the Update option from eScan for AV by clicking the Update button. The Update tabbed page provides you with information regarding the type of update mode and date on which the database was last updated. It also provides you with options for configuring the module and helps you view reports on recent scans performed by the module.
The tabbed page shows two sections: Configuration and Reports. These two sections are described as follows:
This section displays the following information:
- Last Database Updated: It shows when the eScan database was last updated.
- Run Mode: It displays the type of update mode used by eScan. The run mode can be either Automatic or Scheduled.
In addition, you can click any one of the following options:
You can click this button to update the Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam definitions through HTTP and FTP mode.
You can click this button to open the Update Settings dialog box, which helps you configure the Update option to download updates automatically. This dialog box has the following tabs.
This tab provides you with general options for configuring the Update option.
- Select Mode: It indicates the mode for downloading updates from eScan update servers. The available modes are FTP and HTTP. Click an appropriate option.
- Proxy Settings: In this section, you can configure the proxy settings for downloading updates through HTTP proxy or FTP proxy servers. In both case, you need to provide the IP address of the proxy server if any, the port number, and the authentication credentials. In case of FTP servers, you also need to provide the format for the user ID in the Logon Type section.
This tab helps you configure the actions that eScan should perform after Updater downloads the updates.
- Execute this Program, after downloading updates successfully: When you select this check box, eScan runs a particular application or program after eScan updates are downloaded successfully.
This section shows the following options:
- Program Name: Sometimes, you may need a particular program to run after you have downloaded updates for eScan. You can simply specify the path of the program in the Program Name box. Alternatively, you can use the Browse button to navigate to the path where the program executable is stored.
- Start In: You can also specify the program to execute from a given location. You can either specify the location in the Start In box or use the Browse button to navigate to the folder where the program should execute.
- Parameters: Some programs require additional parameters to execute. You can specify these start parameters in the Parameters box.
- Run: [Default: Normal] Whenever a program runs, it runs in its own window. You can specify whether the window should be in the maximized, minimized, normal, or hidden state. The default state of the window is normal.
- Terminate the process forcibly: You can also forcibly terminate the process to free system resources by selecting this option.
- Don't wait for process to complete: A process may require a long time to end. In such cases, you can allow other processes to run along with the specified process by selecting this option.
- While this process is being executed, suspend all operations for <placeholder> seconds: [Default: 1] You can also ensure that the no other process runs while the specified process is running for a given time interval by setting the interval in the box.
Note: The options in the Execute this Program, after downloading updates successfully section are disabled by default.
- Update Notification: When you select this option, eScan sends an e mail notification to the e mail address specified in the To box in the Update Notification section.
- From: [Default: firstname.lastname@example.org] You can specify the sender’s e-mail address in the notification mail in this box.
- To: You can specify the recipient’s e-mail address in the notification mail in this box.
- SMTP Server: [Default: 127:0:0:1] You can specify the IP address of the SMTP server in this box.
- SMTP Port: [Default: 25] You can specify the port number of the SMTP port in this box.
The Scheduler automatically polls the Web site for updates and downloads the latest updates when they are available. You can also schedule downloads to occur on specific days or at a specific time.
- Automatic Download: [Default] You can configure the Update option to query and download the latest updates automatically from the MicroWorld Web site. You can configure the query interval by using the following setting.
- Query Interval: [Default: 120] You can set the interval in minutes, after which eScan should query the web site for latest updates.
- Schedule Download: [Default: Daily] You can also schedule downloads to occur on specific days or on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. In addition, eScan also provides you with the facility of downloading updates at a specific time. By default, the time is set to 1:50:00 P.M. Type or select the time at which you want eScan to download updates, by clicking the icon. When you configure this setting, the Scheduler checks the MicroWorld Web site for latest updates at the specified time and downloads them if they are available.
This section displays the following information.
- View Log
This report includes the following information:
- The timestamp, session description, and host name or IP address.
- The description of file, such as result of the download, name of the object, and its size.
- The description of event, such as the number of files downloaded, time at which the connection was established or terminated, and the errors, if any.