From eScan Wiki
eScan Anti-Virus Security for Mac Version 5.x Online Help
The Protection module provides real-time protection to your system against all kinds of viruses and malwares including windows based malwares that could easily spread through external devices such as USB storage devices, CD/DVD ROM and downloads. By default, eScan’s real-time monitor feature, monitors and detects any virus in your system. In case of virus detection, eScan provides automatic virus pop-up alerts; the first action taken by eScan will be to disinfect the infected file. In any case it fails to disinfect, it will quarantine the file so that an action can be taken later. It also allows you to pre-define an action in case of any virus detection.
It monitors and helps you to scan mail files, archived files, packed files and it will also exclude directories, files, and specific file types from scanning as per the settings defined.
The virus log is created in a tabular format and a detailed graphical representation of the infected, quarantined, deleted, disinfected, and clean files are displayed.
You can modify the default settings as per your requirement.
The Protection module is divided in to two sections -Configuration and Reports
This section will allow you to configure eScan Protection settings.
- Protection Status: It displays the status of eScan Protection, whether it is in started or stopped mode.
- Action: It displays the type of action eScan Protection has taken on the infected object.
- Start/Stop: Click this button to Start/Stop eScan Protection.
- Settings: Click this button to configure Protection status, scan, and log settings.
Note: You will need administrator privileges to access the Start/Stop and the Settings features.
You can view statistics report of the scanned, quarantined, activities log list of quarantined objects, and files report.
- Total file scanned: It displays the total number of files scanned by eScan Protection.
- Dangerous object found: It displays the total number of infected objects detected by eScan Protection.
- Last scanned file: It displays the path of the last scanned file.
- View statistics: Click this button to view the virus file report in the form of a pie chart.
- View quarantined objects: Click this button to view the list of quarantined objects with path and total number of quarantined objects.
- View report: Click this button to view the log of the activities performed.
You can do the following activities:
- Start and Stop eScan real-time protection
- Configure settings
- View Statistics
- View Quarantined Objects
- View Report
Start and Stop eScan Monitor
By default, eScan real-time monitoring starts after you add a license key. This feature is available only to an administrator. The eScan Anti-Virus icon gets mounted on the toolbar when you install eScan for Mac on your system. By default, monitor is in Start mode.
You can start and stop eScan monitor in the following ways:
- On the eScan for Mac window, under Configuration section, click the Stop button to stop eScan real time protection. The Protection status changes from Started (in green color) to Stopped (in red color) and the eScan Anti-Virus icon in green changes to red.
- On the eScan for Mac window, under Configuration section, click the Start button to start eScan real time protection. The Protection status changes from Stopped (in red color) to Started (in green color) and the eScan Anti-Virus icon in red changes to green.
- On upper-right corner of the window, click eScan real time protection is ON icon, and then click Disable eScan Protection option to stop eScan protection.
- On upper-right corner of the window, click eScan real time protection is OFF icon, and then click Enable eScan Protection option to start eScan protection.
Configuring the settings
Real-time Protection enables you to configure settings as per your requirement. eScan’s real-time protection scans and monitors your system for viruses. In case of virus detection, eScan takes an immediate action and displays the virus pop-up alerts.
You can set mail files, archive files, and packed files to be scanned on real time basis and also you can exclude specific directories, files, and file types from scanning as per the defined settings.
During scanning, It creates a log of all the eScan activities performed. There are different types of log level that gets created, and you can select the type of log you want to view.
To configure the settings
- On the Protection tab, under Configuration section, click the Settings option.
- To Configure the Scan settings, Specify the following field details.
- Click the Save button.
The settings get saved.
eScan protection module creates a log of the activities performed. It displays the name of the file infected, the infected date, name of the virus found, and the status of the virus.
eScan protection module creates a virus file report in the form of a pie chart, in which each legend represents a specific color for a specific type of a virus file. Each legend provides you the details of the number of infected, quarantined, deleted, disinfected, and clean files, and also name of the last infected file, and last virus name. When the eScan protection status is in stop mode, the 3D pie chart is displayed in grey color and when eScan protection status is in start mode, the 3D pie chart is displayed in green color for clean files and other colors are displayed based on the color assigned to the type of file.
Viewing Quarantined Objects Report
eScan protection module creates a log report of the quarantined objects. The infected objects are quarantined during scanning based on the option you have selected under Scan settings section. You can view the file(s) quarantined by, Real-time protection, On-Demand Scan or Both options under the Quarantined by drop-down field. You can view and delete a specific file or delete all infected files by clicking Delete all button. You can also restore the deleted files, if needed. It displays the list of infected files that have been quarantined with file name, date, file size, and virus name. It also displays the path where quarantined files are saved with number of quarantined files.
eScan protection creates a log of the activities performed. It displays the name of the file infected, the infected date, name of the virus found, and the status of the virus. It displays the log based on the number of days you have set in Report lifetime days field, under Log Options section.